I know, I’ve been a bad blogger recently. But here is something I did a few months ago to make up for it. We found this really old dusty drinks trolley in the attic and decided that it needed a makeover.
After a good sanding and a many, many coats of paint I finally got it to the bright turquoise colour I was aiming for.
I’m supposed to be writing an essay, so typically I’m looking for other ways to spend my time. We had this mini-pumpkin lying around from Halloween (no time to carve it), so I grabbed a paint pen and started doodling. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out and think it might make a pretty little centrepiece for Thanksgiving, especially when paired with these cute golden leaves cut out from a tomato puree tube.
Sometimes, I actually have to remind myself that I’m not 10 anymore, but I can’t help it, I still get ridiculously excited about the holidays. With Halloween fast approaching, I’m trying to find the time to put together a costume (so much more important than uni work and making money), which I will be sharing once finished. In the meantime, I figured I’d share a cute little Halloween project I made a couple of years ago.
It’s a cheap alternative to a pumpkin and also makes the room smell really nice!
What you need:
- An orange
- A small, sharp knife
- A tooth pick and green sharpie
- A small tea light
1. Cut the top off and hollow out the bottom part of the orange, keeping the top for the lid.
2. Carve your design into the orange.
3. Colour the toothpick with the green pen and stick into the lid to create a ‘stalk’.
4. Light the tea light and ta-da, a super quick and easy ‘pumpkin’.
(Just as a safety precaution, it’s probably best not to leave the lid on while the candle is lit in case it sets your house on fire – mine seemed fine while I took the pictures, but I wouldn’t risk a whole night)
I did say that I would share what I did with the other cork pot stand – so here we go, a more manly mouse mat made as a birthday present (see my original one here)! I’d like to mention that I have never read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so I’m hoping that this is an alright representation. This time I experimented by drawing on the cork with Sharpie instead of the acrylic paint I used on my own mat and I actually think it turned out better. The mouse glides much more easily over it.
If you follow me on Pinterest, you’ll probably have noticed that I’ve been a little bit obsessed with pretty walls full of picture frames lately. I’ve been collecting cheap box frames and colourful postcards in order to make my own version, and thought I’d share the (kind of) finished result.
I filled the frames with pretty postcards I picked up at Paperchase (and used the Fitzgerald inspired frame I made a little while ago), found some picture hangers and a hammer, and got to work. It was much harder to get the frames level than I had anticipated, but I don’t think it looks too bad.
I think this will remain a bit of a work in progress, and switching the pictures will be an easy way of updating my room. In the meantime, I’m enjoying the colour and brightness that they bring to my walls.
Lately I’ve been trying to turn my bedroom into a place that I look forward to coming home to, rather than a place that I dump my stuff in while I’m not at work or uni. I’ve recently received a new desktop (first blog post on this baby!), but the mouse is useless on my desk. I thought making a cute mousemat would be a good place to start with my bedroom makeover and luckily found a couple of cork pot stands on sale that were the perfect size (in case you haven’t noticed, I really like the look of cork – see my cork noticeboard and cork coasters)
What you need:
- Cork base
- A design (my mum kindly created a stencil for me using her fancy-smancy printer)
- Acrylic paint and paintbrush
- A piece of felt
1. Paint the design onto the cork (I stuck the stencil on, used a brush to stipple on the paint and peeled the stencil off once the paint was almost dry).
2. Paint around the edges (use tape if you want a straight(ish) line – mine still isn’t perfect, but I tried).
3. Cut the felt slightly smaller than the cork and glue onto the back.
4. Leave to dry properly before using.
Ta-da! This seems to be working well so far. I was a bit worried the paint would need fixing with something, but I’ve been using it for a bit and nothing has come off on my mouse. I’m turning the other cork mat into a present for a special someone, so I’ll probably be posting about that later.
I have been dying to have a go at tie-dying with sharpies ever since I stumbled across this awesome tutorial for galaxy print shoes. It took a bit of effort to track down rubbing alcohol (which I discovered is called surgical spirit in the UK – and they sell it in Superdrug), but this was so much fun it was worth all the confused looks I received when searching for it in the shops. I found a super cheap pair of white canvas trainers and got to work.
Time for Tea has a great step-by-step tutorial that is really straight forward to follow. It basically involves drawing on the canvas shoes with the sharpies and dripping over the surgical spirit (open a window – this stuff makes you dizzy!). It didn’t seem to matter that I made some mistakes getting the technique right, as any ugly bits can be covered up with the next layer.
It is a good idea to start with the lighter colours and add the darker, brighter ones later. It took about 6 layers to build up the colour, and you need to wait for the shoe to dry completely before adding subsequent layers.
Once dark enough, I added white spaces and stars with acrylic paint. I used the end of the brush to create most of the big stars, and a toothpick for the really small ones.
I’m pretty much in love with these, but I haven’t worn them out yet as I’m afraid that the unpredictable Scottish weather will ruin them and I will end up with purple feet!